[OSM-talk] Newbie alert

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Thu Mar 13 09:53:43 UTC 2014

Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> The "entry level editor" could reasonably limit new users to "entry
> level edits".
> Messing with anything with a relation is not a first edit kind of
> activity.
> What if the entry level editor said "hey, this is too complex, map
> something else
> and gain some experience and come back to this section".
>
> The barrier is still low.

In this case we'd have lost a series of updates to rivers and streams
(and nearby roads) that would be sadly missed.  Many of the features in
this part of Wales haven't been updated for a while (in some cases since
http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/99477 ) so definitely needed an
update.

I did something similar based on 1 day's mapping last year in the middle
of this area: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/51.9571/-3.0490 so I
know how bad the "before" was in places.

Saying "you can't update anything that involves a relation" rules out
rivers and streams (borders), roads (turn restrictions), and many types
of landuse and buildings (multipolygons).  I don't think that it's feasible.

Cheers,

Andy