[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Fri Mar 14 07:18:39 UTC 2014

Alex Barth writes:
 > http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/lxbarth/diary/21221

Another aspect of where the ODbL hurts us: Because we are using a
restrictive license, we cannot argue against other parties that use a
restrictive license. Look at New York State's GIS
Clearinghouse. Individuals not welcome. For-profit corporations not
welcome. OpenStreetMap users .... not welcome. NY government entities?
Welcome! Non-profits? Welcome!

We can't argue against that on principle because we're just as bad.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog