[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

osm at k3v.eu osm at k3v.eu
Fri Mar 14 11:43:50 UTC 2014

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:58:57 +0100, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

>One thing I would like to hear about in this context of this
>discussion, are examples of concrete use cases that are not happening
>because of share alike and that are in general things that the
>community would like to support (so not "evil corp can't take the data
>now and keep it"). Concrete in the sense that they are uses that
>really would happen if share alike would be dropped, not "we can build
>a straw man that shows how bad share alike is".

On the flip side of this, if share alike is so great where are the
examples of organisations contributing back to OSM because of it?
Mostly I think organisations contribute because it is in their interest
to do so (a better map makes their product better) not because the
license says they have to.

Share alike adds massive complexity to the license. This seems
indisputable to me and just puts another barrier in the way of adoption.

IMHO, share alike is just like DRM on music in that it inconveniences
legitimate uses of the data but doesn't stop the crooks who will just
rip it off anyway regardless of what the license says.

Kevin