[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

Martin Raifer tyr.asd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 12:01:23 UTC 2014

To throw another log into the fire: What about imports?

OSM having a share-alike licence enabled us to incorporate (and otherwise
use) all kinds of open data sets, which may be licensed PD/CC0, CC-BY,
CC-BY-SA or ODbL. (A lot of open government data in the EU is released
under CC-BY or even share-alike.)

If OSM would switch to something more "liberal", we would cut us off from
potential source material: If we were going to "CC-BY" our database, we
couldn't use CC-BY-SA and ODbL material any more, and if we were going all
the way to "CC0", anything other than PD/CC0 would be a no-go.

Martin