[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Fri Mar 14 13:17:21 UTC 2014

Simon Poole wrote:

> One thing I would like to hear about in this context of this discussion,
are examples of concrete use cases that are not happening because of
share alike and that are in general things that the community would like
to support (so not "evil corp can't take the data now and keep it").
Concrete in the sense that they are uses that really would happen if
share alike would be dropped, not "we can build a straw man that shows
how bad share alike is".

Hi Simon,

We have considered that we cannot use OpenStreetMap as a background map in
any of the applications where users are sending location aware information
back to administration. For showing existing data it would be OK but not
for gathering data from users because user could locate a place "corner of
Annankatu and Merimiehenkatu" http://osm.org/go/0xPLoLTa0?m= by looking at
the OSM map. The interpretation of ODbL is that this location is derived
from OSM data and thus the database of the administration would become
ODbL. It could be OK in some use cases but some data are confidential and
ODbL is not an option. Therefore we do not use OSM at all. We use our own
services and Google Maps.

This is a concrete example. However, changing the interpretation of ODbL
into "georeferencing locations by looking at OSM map does not yield a
derivative database" would not necessarily change the situation in Finland
any more because since 2012 most raster and vector data from the National
Land Survey of Finland have been open data under attribution-only license.
Because of this using the data is simple. This has also helped OSM because
raster maps and aerial images can be utilized for digitizing and vector
data imports have started this year.

Jukka Rahkonen-