[OSM-talk] Hate captchas!!!!

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Mar 14 16:01:52 UTC 2014

On 14/03/14 15:50, Richard Z. wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 03:43:38PM +0000, Tom Hughes wrote:
>> On 14/03/14 15:06, Richard Z. wrote:
>>
>>> How about an OSM quiz instead of captchas?
>>
>> You're offering to write one I take it?
>
> will think about one. In the short term, there are open tickets
> which should make it a lot easier

Well 5116 doesn't actually specify what it is you actually the admins to
do. It asks for "known good URLs" to be whitelisted without actually
defining what constitutes a "known good URL".

Since I'm pretty sure that both "known good" and "known bad" are
infinite sets, even if anybody could agree what constituted good or bad
in this context, it is really very helpful.

I'm sure if you make concrete suggestions for URLs that should be
whitelisted then somebody will consider them.

I'm not exactly sure what 3898 is asking for because I'm not familiar
with the details of that config option, but it sounds like it is just
asking for the captcha to be switched off. I'm sure that would be lovely
for the real wiki users. I'm equally sure it would be lovely for the
spammers, so it's not really a solution for anything.

Certainly neither of those tickets seems to represent something trivial
or concrete that could be actioned immediately in the way you are implying.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/