[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

Cristian Consonni kikkocristian at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 18:18:56 UTC 2014

> I've been sitting on writing about the detrimental effects of
> OpenStreetMap's share-alike license (ODbL) for a while and finally decided
> to, um, share. I've been listening long to many OpenStreetMappers I respect
> a ton telling me it's not so bad and it's just what we're stuck with right
> now. But given how bad share alike is for OpenStreetMap I don't think we
> should give up for pushing for a more open license. Here's why I think
> share-alike hurts OpenStreetMap and how this keeps OpenStreetMap from having
> the full impact it could have:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/lxbarth/diary/21221

I had a question, starting from this:
«Ever tried to get an actual lawyer to provide guidance on the ODbL?
That's what I'm talking about. Tried to use the OpenStreetMap Wiki to
learn about how the ODbL is interpreted by the licensor, the
OpenStreetMap Foundation? That's what I'm talking about.»

How many cases of litigation in court over ODbL licensed data do we
know about so far?

Cristian
An interested Wikipedian and mapper.