[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 22:43:52 UTC 2014

On 14/03/2014, Jukka Rahkonen <jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi> wrote:
> For showing existing data it would be OK but not
> for gathering data from users because user could locate a place "corner of
> Annankatu and Merimiehenkatu" http://osm.org/go/0xPLoLTa0?m= by looking at
> the OSM map. The interpretation of ODbL is that this location is derived
> from OSM data and thus the database of the administration would become
> ODbL.

To me that's a very strict/paranoiac interpretation of the odbl.
Especially if locations are looked up on a raster rendering, rather
than matched with vector data.

As it turns out, OSM itself has decided to use that paranoiac
interpretation when looking at aerial imagery for example. Because we
need to be paranoiac when using other people's data. But when other
people are using our data, we could appease their paranoia if the OSMF
released a list of interpretation for the tricky corner-cases.