[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

Simon Poole simon at osmfoundation.org
Sat Mar 15 11:16:51 UTC 2014

Martin

Continuing to repeat a twisted version of what actually happened does
not make it truer.

Apple: the Foundation has engaged (documented) multiple times with the
company on this matter, even though, as you VERY well know, the data
they use is pre-licence change and the OSMF has no IP rights in the
data. While not ideal, the current attribution is a lot better than what
they originally had. Given the legal situation with CC by-SA and DB
protection in the US that is about the limit of what we can reasonably
do (and wasting time flogging dead horses is something that most people
don't enjoy as much as you do).

MS*: we immediately took the matter up with MS, and were promised that
they would rectify the issue when they rolled out new imagery.They where
a bit late with that, but otherwise they did exactly what they promised
us. Again it is not quite sure what you expect, should we have closed
bing down (which in some countries would have been possible)? Aka "take
a big gun and shoot ourselves in the foot".

And BTW we didn't write letters in either case.

Simon

* background: MS had used polygons from OSM to blur some supposedly
military relevant areas in Germany in their aerial imagery, the whole
thing was very badly advised on behalf of MS and simply a screw up.