[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Sun Mar 16 12:41:02 UTC 2014

* Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de> [2014-03-16 10:38 +0100]:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 11:03:41AM -0400, Phil! Gold wrote:
> > I suspect that Map Maker would attract more people that might
> > otherwise have ended up contributing to OSM, which would hurt
> > community growth and benefit Google at the expense of all the other
> > OSM data consumers.
>
> But this is technically impossible. Either you take OSM and the flow of
> changes of contributers for a certain area, or you take some snapshot
> and let your community edit it by cutting off the OSM stream.

Google appears to do both, probably because they've gotten really good at
data conflation.  They already pull data from multiple datasets, including
proprietary data like Telenav's, public domain data from governments and
such, and restricted use data from local governments, and then they
integrate GMM contributions on top of that amalgamation.

--- --
A funny symbol that I can't read has just been input.
Continue, and I'll forget that it ever happened.
                       -- TeX error message