[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 15:59:05 UTC 2014

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Not everywhere our map is superior to Google's.
But in places where we are mapping fine detail that Google has no idea about we
are ... In my area of the UK Google has large blank areas where OSM has all the
footpaths and roadways that are needed simply to navigate to many local
businesses. Only OSM mapping takes you to the correct location ...
In places even OS does not have the correct current details so the 'commercial
users' have no real chance of being up to date.
Since the current licence now fills in holes that previously existed that data
is 'safe' from being simply harvested for commercial use? And routing programs
that use the OSM data have an advantage.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL