[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 20:04:32 UTC 2014

Hi,

> For technical reasons Google cant use OUR data and THEIR community.

Can't follow this argument: Data fusion is technically feasible beyond
"filling the holes".

Even if argued in favour of CC-BY before, the current status quo of
the Share-alike makes me comfortable just because of this point: not
getting "exploited" by big companies >only<.

As said before, I'm concerned about small and medium companies (SME)
and about governement being possibly constrained by ODbL.

I'd like to renew following statements of Steve and Simon:

> Alex makes a bunch of these statements like that, I’ll pick three that jump out:
> 1) "the assumption that share-alike encourages contribution is a myth”
> 2) "The reality is that OpenStreetMap is only used extensively in
>    situations where the share-alike license does not apply, for instance, map rendering."
> 3) "OpenStreetMap's current licensing is stunting our growth"
>
> And respond:
> 1) Data would be useful either way

Agreed - except some license related caveats.

> 2) I’d say that’s because OSM doesn’t contain a lot of address or navigation data
>    (which, as it happens, is where the money is), not because of the license.
> 3) My personal belief is it might stunt CloudMade or MapBox, but not Telenav or MapQuest,
>    and, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Stats doesn’t show a lot of evidence of being stunted.

This last observation makes me wonder: SME should have a disadvantage
because of the license:
Perhaps a legal service of OSMF would help?

To renew Simon's following question:

> One thing I would like to hear about in this context of this discussion,
> are examples of concrete use cases that are not happening because of
> share alike and that are in general things that the community would like
> to support

Here's the "OpenEcoMap use case": In urban and regional planning OSM
can complement governement data with POIs not maintained by them
(OpenEcoMap). Here OSM is being combined with legally different
(non-PD) governement data. Now, it should be possible to combine OSM
and governement data for doing spatial analysis and maps without
'affecting' governement data. OSM vector data is not being put in the
same "database". It's either being overlayed/intersected/compared
within analysis with governement data - and it's being shown in a
separate layer on the map.

--Stefan