[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

Michael Kugelmann MichaelK_OSM at gmx.de
Mon Mar 17 23:04:37 UTC 2014

Am 17.03.2014 23:05, schrieb Johan C:
> So we're wondering why OpenStreetMap, being better (superior?) than
> Google in map data, is not used by commercial companies like BMW. Is
> there a native German on this list who can ask BMW why they're not
> using OSM?
for Navigation it's not only about having roads, there are other data
still missing (or not available sufficiently) in OSM: addresses, turn
restrictions, lane informations, speed limits, ...
BTW: if you talk about navigation in the car industry you have to
consider development cycles of 5...10 years => including OSM takes some
time. And: it's also about having a tool chain to include and maintain
the data into the cars (update) which needs to be developed, despite of
the wiki type fancy tagging scheme (compared to Navtec/Nokia an
TeleAtlas/TomTom).
I'm quite sure that the automotive industry keeps an eye on OSM although
there is no official statement. [1]    ;-)

BTW car industry: I am aware of talks between an OSMF board member
(Oliver) an the German car industry in the past years. But he didn't
provide any details at all about the talks => not a very good behavior
for an open project, even if you agree to have confidentiality...   :-(

Best regards,
Michael.

for [1]: there was e.g. a semi-public talk of an postgraduate here at Munich