[OSM-talk] Hate captchas!!!!

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri Mar 21 15:59:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-03-21 at 14:22 +0100, Richard Z. wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 07:17:26AM +0100, Stefan Keller wrote:
> > Hi Richard, hi Simon
> >
> > At 2014-03-14 16:19 GMT+01:00 Simon Poole wrote
> > > What I saw on Tuesday seem to indicate that ReMAPTCHA (Stefan?) is
> > > nearly here. As the name says it is map related.
> > >
> > > Unluckily it is still a pain to use if you have problems with your
> > > eyesight, but at least you are not working for google at the same time.
> >
> > Yes, that's right, we are working hard to release a map related
> > ReCaptcha, I called ReMAPTCHA.
> > I will present it at GI_Forum Symposium in Salzburg in July 1-4 2014.
> > I really hope to have a beta release ready next week!
>
> thanks. Even though I have no problems with my eyes I still find it
> frequently difficult to recognise the distorted letters and have to
> reload a few times.
>
> A working and maintained whitelist would be really good in addition
> to any captcha improvememnts...

I find the same problems, I have no eyesight issues but often have to
have several reloads, or guesses before I get them right. If I don't
need to get passed them I will tend to not bother and go somewhere else.

I have often wondered if these evil things are legal under the
Disability Discrimination Act (UK), I suppose the audio option gets many
sites around this. Anything that relies only on good eyesight, without
an audio alternative, should not be considered as it will almost
certainly break the DDA.

A google search for "disability discrimination act captcha" brings up
some interesting stuff.

This one for instance
http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/Web_and_Internet_Law/Web_Accessibility_Law

Phil (trigpoint)