[OSM-talk] [OHM] Should we map former endonyms?

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sat Mar 22 14:32:27 UTC 2014

> I would only use old_name:fi if there is also a different name:fi (which makes the other name:fi the old one), otherwise use name:fi for Finnish names and additionally, if you want to state that this was once the official name, use old_name=* (no language postfix here)

In my opinion, old_name:fi is for Finnish names that have fallen out of
use, regardless of whether it has been replaced by a Finnish name or a
Russian name.

This interpretation also offers a lot more flexibility to applications
than yours does, because it does not lose the important information
whether or not the name is still actively used.