[OSM-talk] mechanical edit on fire hydrants worldwide – revert or not?

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Sun Mar 23 21:16:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

because I use a RSS feed from WhoDidIt [1,2] to know the latest edits in
my home area, I have noticed that fire hydrants have been edited by
mechanically worldwide.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/21264027
User: digital0533
Changeset comment: "Changing amenity=fire_hydrant to emergency=fire_hydrant"

I cannot remember a discussion of this mechanical edit.

The edit was made not well. Node which had only amenity=fire_hydrant and
no other tags are no nodes without any tags. That's wrong!

Examples for nodes without any tags after the edit:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1153470630/history
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1152548398/history

Example for nodes which had emergency=fire_hydrant before:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/558577489/history

Because the edit was not made well and because it has not been
discussed, I suggest to revert this changeset. What is your opinion?

Best regards,

Michael

[1] http://zverik.osm.rambler.ru/whodidit/
[2]