[OSM-talk] Launching OpenAddresses

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 21:45:38 UTC 2014

Not a stupid question at all.

I decided to collect this stuff outside of OSM for two reasons:

   - An "address data" census is pretty interesting by itself, and learning
   how to find it is useful.
   - Having address data outside of OSM means we can make it more liberally
   licensed for tons of people to use. I don't want to burden the amalgamation
   of data with attribution or share-alike because the source data is usually
   not copyrightable in the first place (at least in the U.S.).
   - The import process for OSM is tedious, long, and a negative experience
   that I didn't want to go through with every municipality in the country.