[OSM-talk] landuse=port_terminal etc. to landuse=port changes

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Mar 26 12:18:46 UTC 2014

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

sabas88 wrote:

> Hi Andy,
> I did the manually via JOSM.

OK, but:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edit_Policy

contains "this policy covers a wider range of edits, including not only
edits made by bots but also imports and any edits that have a mechanical
component, e.g. a search-and-replace operation using the XAPI and an
editor;".

In cases such as this a previous mapper will have chosen the tags they
used for a reason (such as the impression that they gained from an
on-site survey).  It may be that once you've discussed it with them that
they think "landuse=port" is totally appropriate, but it may be (for
reasons that they know, because they've been there, but you don't,
because you haven't), that it's not.

> I found different uses (port,port_terminal and variations) and merged
> together. In Europe I was using it mostly, and migrated to the formal
> proposal[0] [1], the others were:
> - one in USA which fitted my proposal and I adjusted it
> - the others were delimitations of port subareas and fitted the
> definition (were untouched by some time and I tried to improve the
> geometry).
>
> I'd like to move the set of proposals to voting one of these days, but
> haven't had the time yet.
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Andy
>

> Regards,
> Stefano
>
> [0] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landuse%3Dport
> [1]
> http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/RFC-Classification-for-ports-and-inland-terminals-td5792661.html

Where the tagging was changed have people in the affected areas been
notified in some way (e.g. by a message to a country mailing list)? I
don't see anything in the links to suggest that that has happened.

Cheers,

Andy