[OSM-talk] This has to stop: User Diaries Spam

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 20:03:23 UTC 2014

> The best solution in my opinion -if possible- would be to limit the
> access to diaries to accounts that have existed for a certain time and
> have some edits (just like 1 week and 5-10 Edits) or maybe easier
> require moderator approval for every account that isn't 1 week or month
> old. A general approval for the diaries by moderator approval for the
> first posts only might also be a solution.

Who is currently moderating and cleaning up this spam when discovered?

Implementing part of the above would be pretty simple. Until some low threshold of participation is reached (by time or edits) diary entries can be written, but not syndicated in the RSS feed (which I guess is what is used to build blogs.openstreetmap.org, and @osmblogs). Just a line or two to change in this function https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/blob/master/app/controllers/diary_entry_controller.rb#L120

Then make a pull request. Would be up to Tom Hughes to accept the request or not.

For more active moderation, we'd need to know, how much time commitment does it really require? And what is the profile of the people doing so? Would need to be someone trusted by OWG. There is a "block" facility in the app, which prevents edits if applied (until the user reads the block message; there may also be different levels). I'm not sure if access to diary publishing respects the "block".

If the process starts to require even more active moderating, some kind of dashboard, to highlight suspicious behavior, could be useful. Could start to gather queries of users to investigate further ... like new users, who have made a lot of diary entries in a short span of time. Perhaps someone already has such a thing, and is using it to monitor things?

Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron
On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:34 PM, Andreas Goss <andig88 at t-online.de> wrote:

First of all let me say I'm a huge fan of the diaries, I think it is
>great that OpenStreetMap gives every user the chance to present his own
>"blog" to a larger audiance.
>
>BUT something has to be done against the Spam on the User Diaries page.
>This could be done by moderating faster, but then there is still the
>problem with Twitter and other feed based systems.
>Just today I got this: http://i.imgur.com/jKAxzLh.png
>
>You know what the first thing is I would do if I wasn't really committed
>to OpenStreetMap? I would UNFOLLOW that account. I actually had this set
>up for Facebook, but got rid of it, because it was so annoying.
>
>OpenStreetMap already isn't doing that much
 regarding social media and