[OSM-talk] Nik4: mapnik → image

Ilya Zverev zverik at textual.ru
Fri May 16 05:12:55 UTC 2014

Hi! I recently needed to create a big georeferenced image from a mapnik
style file, and found out no image exporting tool currently offers more
than a direct interface to mapnik's options. That is, I could not get
"image in 300 dpi for printing on an A5 sheet", I had to understand what
scale_factor is, and what is the default resolution, and why lines had
become so thick. And I'm a programmer — imagine a confusion of a regular
user!

Today I have published Nik4. It makes everything easier.

Grab a 800x600 image at z13? -c LON LAT -x 800 600 -z 13 — and no
suprises like when the output image differs from osm.org (nik2img
puzzled me with that one). Print a region in 300 dpi on A5? -a 5 --ppi
300 --bbox X1 Y1 X2 Y2. You don't have to think about scale_factor ever.
Make a very large image? No problem, use --tiles 4 and wait a bit; you
won't run out of memory.

See https://github.com/Zverik/Nik4 for an extensive description and
installation instructions (easy_install nik4 — there, no more
instructions needed). Print more maps.

IZ