[OSM-talk] OSM France "BANO" project... openaddresses in France

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri May 16 09:03:32 UTC 2014

Somehow I suspect that the proponents of "screw the future" (aka lets
tie the hands of every future OSM contributor) simply don't have enough
imagination.

For me it is a distinct possibility that in 10 years from now Nokia/here
and Tomtom will be long gone, and only google and OSM will still be
players at a global level (google likely heavily regulated and split in
to multiple independent operations).

We will have decreased the monetary value of raw, static, geo-data to
zero and I expect that the days of restrictive licences for government
geo-data will have gone for good in an attempt to to remain vaguely
relevant. Google will be gobbling up everything it can get for free for
sure.

I have no idea what the OSM community will want to do then, but I do
know that it is extremely short sighted to unnecessarily to bind them to
something that, however reasonable it may be now, might be totally at
odds with reality then.