[OSM-talk] Changeset comment function

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sun Nov 2 22:07:49 UTC 2014

On 02/11/2014 11:48, Andy Street wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 11:36:38 +0100
> Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
>
>> A much wanted and needed feature.
> I'm not attempting to disparage the hard work of those who contributed
> to this feature but it is not immediately apparent to me how this
> feature should be used. Perhaps one of those people who needed this
> feature could give a brief description of why it is useful and when it
> would be appropriate to use this method rather than sending a PM?

Similar to what Andy says, there's nothing wrong with this, but I'm
failing to understand the benefits over existing PMs:

https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2014/11/02/introducing-changeset-discussions/

This example just mentions "a" cafe in a changeset that could be full of
cafe amendments. For it to be clear which one is under discussion a
hyperlink to the node/way still needs to be given which can just as
easily be supplied in a PM.

As this still a direct message between two users, to truly make it
'public' how does a third party become aware of the messages? Can I get
a notification if it falls within 'my area'?

David F.

---