[OSM-talk] Unelected OSMF "advisers"

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Mon Nov 17 19:11:13 UTC 2014

There is a good Chinese proverb, "Wisdom begins with acceptance of
reality". If it is the reality, it makes sense to accept it and create a
transparent explicit OSM Meritocracy Technical Council (MTC), the second
branch of authority, in addition to the OSMF Board.

Merits could be clearly defined. For example, if a user has got more
than twenty thousand meaningful edits, or published say three articles
in main stream media  about the OSM recently, or works on significant
hardware or software OSM projects, etc. she/ he could apply for the
Meritocracy Technical Council membership.

Representative democracy (indirect democracy) is much better than a
tyranny, not doubt about it, but it is, probably, not the end of the
history yet. There are readily available tools nowadays to verify the
achievements (merits) directly and unambiguously (number of edits,
articles' URLs, projects' URL, etc.)

Both branches could be mutually reinforcing, especially if the roles are
clearly defined and harmonized. Not Meritocracy vs. Democracy (1), but
Meritocracy and Democracy.

Best regards,
Oleksiy

(1) http://tildehash.com/?article=meritocracy-vs-democracy