[OSM-talk] wiki tag page template: ways vs areas vs relations

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 09:05:30 UTC 2014

Hi List,

all tag pages on the wiki have a sidebar[1] that tells which element
(node, way, area, relation) the tag applies to. Since an "area" is
either a closed way or a multipolygon relation, my understanding has
always been that if a tag is only meant for an area (for example most
landuse tags), it shouldn't be documented as usable on "ways" and
"relations" in general. In other words, for that template's usecase,
ways/area/relations are separate sets, despite sharing primitives.

Is that everyone else's understanding too ? In that case, I'll mention
that fact in the template's documentation, and keep an eye out for
misdocumented tags.

[1]:http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:ValueDescription