[OSM-talk] Detrimental validation software

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Mon Oct 13 12:24:42 UTC 2014

On 13/10/2014 11:48, Dave F. wrote:
> Hi
>
> Once again I've had user Richrico use this website:
> http://osmlab.github.io/to-fix/?error=unconnected_major5 to
> inaccurately amend data in OSM.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/65398595#map=19/51.32464/-2.22817
>
> Way: 65398595 This way is /not/ joined.

I messaged them (in what I believe was a friendly and polite manner)
about a similar situation in Derbyshire in September and have not (yet)
had a reply.  On their OSM user page they identify themselves as
"improving OpenStreetMap data for Mapbox" - maybe that would provide
another route for attempting to make contact?

If that doesn't work, perhaps send a "we've tried contacting them, had
no reply, and they're still doing it" message to the DWG
(data at osmfoundation.org) requesting a temporary block until the user
logs in, so at least we can be sure that they're actually seeing the
message (I've certainly not always noticed the "you have X messages"
message, and if their workflow goes directly to iD from something on
github, they may not see it at all).

I haven't chased up my original message - I'll do so today.

> Without local knowledge there is no way users can be sure of the
> accuracy of there edits. They should stick to what they know. I
> believe this type of validation software should be discouraged, if not
> banned completely.

There are places where this sort of armchairing makes sense (such as
untouched areas in the US, memorably referred to as "TIGER barf" by
someone on IRC earlier today), but places with active local mappers
aren't one of them

> Oh, & on Maproulette I'm getting a virus warning:
> hxxp://198.58.115.35/piwik.js

Sounds like that should be raised at
https://github.com/osmlab/maproulette/issues (with details - though I
suspect it might be something detecting piwik as an attempt to track,
which it sort of is FSVO track).  Obviously maproulette !=
osmlab.gitub.io of course.

Cheers,

Andy