[OSM-talk] Adding Wikidata tags to 70k items automatically

David Cuenca dacuetu at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 18:00:48 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> My guess is that in the case of settlements we will mostly have missing
> wikidata entities for either the settlement or the administrative entities,
> because the wikidata objects have been created from wikipedia articles
> which typically don't distinguish between the settlement and the
> administrative entity but rather do cover both. It is also likely that the
> focus of wikipedia articles is on administrative entities, because of the
> requirement to "prove" with citations (ideally formal legislational acts)
> what you enter.

In theory you are allowed to split any Wikidata item if needed, but in
practice since OSM is more focused on geographic entities it would make
more sense for it to have its own Wikibase instance running (as it is going
to happen with Wikimedia Commons).

I wonder if it would be possible to share a Wikibase instance between
Wikivoyage and OSM. Both projects complement each other pretty well and
share similar needs.

Cheers,
Micru