[OSM-talk] Multilingual Map Demo working again

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 20:40:01 UTC 2014

On 19/10/2014, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:
> The overlay tiles with the labels are rendered on the fly and only kept very
> short term in memcached. There is some overhead due to extra indexes in the
> database to allow the fast rendering, but thats probably negligable.
>
> This map doesn't use the normal tile stack. For details see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_maps_wikipedia_project

What's required to switch this from "demo" to "used on default osm.org
layer" ? Is it only a mater of updating the rendering stack and
comming up with a nice UI, or is there some issue with the technique,
like increased server ressources, sub-par rendering, or browser
support ? I know that this "only" part is actually a lot of work, but
I wonder if there's a blocking issue.