[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] A Better Map

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 11:37:04 UTC 2014

> Together, we could do this in 6-12 months and finish addressing in 1-3
> years. At that point we wouldn’t have just made the world slightly better,
> we would have put a big dent in the universe. Nobody would use a closed map
> ever again, and it would be people like you that made it happen.

I agree with you that addressing is very important for a lot of commercial
(and non-commercial) map users. What I don't understand is how a paid board
would help us map more addresses. Unfortunately mapping addresses is
typically less fun than going to the video arcade. Looking at the current
figures we are not doing too bad. Currently there are 130 Million buildings
in OSM and 46 Million housenumbers. I don't know exactly how many buildings
there are in the world, and how many of them don't have addresses, but I
guess it will be at least 1 Billion addresses in the world, probably more.
According to the stats page we have roughly 25.000 active contributors a
month ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Stats#Contributor_Stats ). To
get an address on all currently mapped buildings in three years time, (84M
to go), every active contributor would have to add 93 addresses a month -
constantly. To get 1 Billion addresses mapped by 25.000 contributors in 3
yrs, it would be 1111 housenumbers a month per active contributor. Are we
planning to pay the mappers as well? The only solution seems to get more
contributors mapping, and have them insert addresses.

cheers,
Martin