[OSM-talk] GoPro video traces?

Tom MacWright tom at macwright.org
Thu Oct 23 14:57:14 UTC 2014

Panoramio didn't state any open license for uploaded content, so it was
easy for them to go closed with Google. Mapillary does, so it should be as
safe as contributing data to OSM, in terms of "what happens if it all goes
away or becomes evil".

I'm sure that everyone would be very supportive of a not-for-profit
alternative, but given the reality of how expensive it is to run and
continuously develop services that intake and distribute a lot of data,
you'd probably need to get a sizeable grant, which would then be
time-limited so would have to pursue another grant every year or two. Or
you would have to take another route that would ruin the idea of open
community purity, like advertising.