[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Modus operandi of the board

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Thu Oct 23 15:01:30 UTC 2014

Hi Frederik,

I like this idea of having the mandate to redesign how the board works.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 5:47 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/23/2014 01:25 PM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> > Absolutely no force required. I would hope that the existing board
> > members would recognise the virtue of a fresh mandate and a clean start.
>
> A radical step, but I like it. I'd be more than happy to withdraw my
> candidacy if there was a spirit of rebooting. We wouldn't even need
> seven new candidates; we could simply elect a few and they could then
> add new un-elected board members as they like (article 79 in the AoA).

Interesting, the idea of maybe people elect who they think is best
qualified to reboot how the board rather than just someone they generally
agree with.

> Instead of rushing through such an unprecedented measure, we could also
> do it in a more orderly fashion: Have this year's AGM decide that the
> board should prepare to resign altogether at the next AGM, and prepare
> the election of a full new board. This event would then be known long in
> advance and people would have time to prepare their bids for a seat on
> the rebooted body. Independent of the actual legal powers of the AGM,
> certainly no board member could ignore such an express declaration by
> the very people they're serving.

I think this process could be outlined and set-up in such a way that it
could happen. Certainly with a year (okay perhaps less since we want people
to have plenty of time to be candidates). I think the board over the next
year would need to commit to a couple in person meetings and more rigorous
reporting that currently happens.

> Should we perhaps vote for "teams"? Just like a team can assemble and
> bid for holding a SotM, should we allow a team to bid for being the OSMF
> board for a year?

I think voting for teams would probably put us in a similar situation
around election time but it would be all or nothing. Though I am interested
in ways to help with cohesion. Perhaps part of it is simply an issue of
general exhaustion from serving on the OSMF board for too long right now.

-Kate