[OSM-talk] The world’s best addressable map

Johan C osmned at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 22:59:32 UTC 2014

> First question: how do you build "the world's best addressable map" ?
> Through imports or survey ? Is the timeframe that Martin puts forward fur
> surveyed addresses acceptable and feasible ?
>
> As for the imports:
>
> Wouldn't it be great that we would have import tools that can be used by
> many groups ? Just as we have great editors for "manual" mapping.
> Shouldn't the OSMF (or however) invest in a procedure + tools for import ?
>
> So when a group wants to perform an import, they only have make sure the
> license is compatible and the data has enough quality. The process of the
> import is already described, the tools ( task managers, data conversion,
> some quality checks etc.) are in place. They deliver the data and the
> import can start.
> I have the impression that right now each group has to take all those
> obstacles all by themselves.
>
> Maybe I have a totally wrong perception of the import process. please
> correct me if that's the case.
>
> regards

I partially share your impression that each group has to take obstacles by
themselves. Since OSM is a social project I think it's good that people
with experience on (importing) addresses and buildings share their
experience. I see this happen on the @import list, user diaries etc. The
somewhat scattered knowledge around could however be shared more
centralized to make it a bit more accessible, so I created a page on the
wiki (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Importing_buildings_and_addresses)
in which anybody can share their knowledge (I will do so this November).
Furthermore, SOTM Buenos Aires hosts 2 presentations on addresses.

I don't see manual work for OSM as an obstacle. Any import (or survey :-) )
requires some manual work because the current map is far from blank, so the
almost full-automatic import you describe is IMHO not possible. Though
semi-automatic assistance by tools (like the wonderful Geofabrik inspector
address view) help a lot keeping the work fun.

As for tools: it would help when more tools for importing and updating
could be programmed. As an example: I'm not aware of any tool which makes
it possible to semi-automatically compare building outlines to the outlines
of an updated government database, highlighting major differences in
geometry.

On the role of the OSMF: I think it shouldn't be the OSMF investing in a
procedure + tools. It would already be great and an energizing factor when
(members of) OSMF would express support for having more address and
building data in OSM, be it either from surveys or from imports.

Cheers, Johan