[OSM-talk] Addresses are a tiny fraction of what we do (was: The world’s best addressable map)

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Fri Oct 24 10:31:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 01:32:19PM +0200, Marc Gemis wrote:
> So don't you expect "pressure" from companies using OSM for navigation and
> geocoding to add more addresses ? Or do you expect them to use many
> different datasources ?

I dont get this? "pressure"? On what basis? You get the OSM data on a
"take it or leave it" basis.

If it doesnt suit your need you are free to spend an arbitrary amount of money
to buy datasets which better suit your needs.

OSM comes without any guarantees.

Me personally i love addresses which might be the cause for >40K addresses
i have added to OSM in the past years. I am absolutely optimistic that
addresscompletion for example for Germany wont take more than 3 years. So
by 2017 we'll have all Adresses. Its just a matter of time and i am
very relaxed about this. When i started with OSM in 2007 i wouldnt have
thought that we'll have that amount of Data in 2014 just 7 years later.

Flo