[OSM-talk] Postponing elections, or other alternatives (Was: Modus operandi of the board)

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Fri Oct 24 14:59:15 UTC 2014

Hi Clifford,

Just a couple comments on your resolutions.

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 6:26 AM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 2:55 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>
> wrote:
> Two of the resolutions I'd like to see put to a debate and vote are 1)
> requiring the Board to conduct annual surveys of the membership and 2)
> develop an OSM vision. I am happy to help draft the resolutions but need
> help with the process.

I actually don't think it makes sense for the membership to approach things
by passing a bunch of resolutions requiring the board to do things. I think
certainly a drastic resolution like dismantling the entire board and
starting again is the type of resolution that would be something to come
from the membership.

Acting in the interest of the membership would be to conduct an annual
survey and develop a vision. Though really that would be something that
could happen as part of a fairly normal board strategic planning process.
I'd view this as being approached simply through the matter of the new
board finding common ground and better ways to approach the business of
running the OSMF. Meaning maybe a survey isn't the best way to determine
things, maybe there is another way. Rather than dictate the approach the
board should be tasked with doing what is in the best interest of the
organization. A part of this I would see as working with a facilitator and
others to educate board members in what generally it means from a legal and
operational standpoint to be on a board.

Best,

-Kate

Thanks,