[OSM-talk] Postponing elections, or other alternatives (Was: Modus operandi of the board)

Kathleen Danielson kathleen.danielson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 15:56:17 UTC 2014

FWIW, I'm also wary of resolutions dictating how the board operates. I
think that a survey (or similar) is a good idea, but as Kate says, it
doesn't require a resolution. Direct democracy is cumbersome and often
lacks nuance, which is why it's so infrequently used. Representative
democracies and their ilk are far more common simply because they are far
more efficient.

If I'm understanding this correctly, in the next week or so, before proxy
voting begins, we could ask the board to make a decision to include a
"nonbinding resolution" or, essentially a "good faith" resolution on the
ballot. If that passes the board, it could be on the ballot, and give
direction to the newly elected board to take [some action]. If it were
voted in, the board wouldn't legally have to do [some action], but
hopefully would follow the wishes of the electorate.

Is that a fair reading of what you said, Frederik?