[OSM-talk] "Incorrect speed limit" anonymous notes - who is behind that?

Per Rosengren per.rosengren at appello.com
Mon Sep 8 15:05:44 UTC 2014

Hi all!

I work together with Erik Matsson who also have written in this thread (in August). For those of you who haven’t read his message, we work at Appello that owns the navigation application Wisepilot. It is through Wisepilot those anonymous notes have been posted.

First of all, thanks for your input. All ideas about how we can improve the quality of the notes are very much appreciated.

We have made some first changes on the server side of our application based on your input. We will also make further improvements as we are releasing new client versions.

We have changed so that only registered and authenticated users are allowed to post notes for now. Hopefully we can later allow anonymous notes to be posted again when we have made some more improvements to prevent spam notes (sanity checks, more useful info in the notes and provide the users with more information about what happens when they post a note).

Notes about wrong/missing speed limit now looks like in the example below (always in English). We changed the message to make it clearer that the reported speed is what it should be changed to in the map data. We also made it clear that it is reported using Wisepilot and added a link to our site if someone wants to contact us.
=========
Reported and assumed correct speed limit is 30 km/h.
Reported using Wisepilot map reporter
Created by www.appello.com
=========

If a user tries to report speed limits like 15, 25, 35 km/h we ignore the note and do not post it (still possible when mph). Also, in upcoming releases of the client we will try to make something smart so that km/h or mph is automatically selected depending on the user’s position (at least make it more clear what one is reporting).

Like Andreas Vilén suspected, our default position was sometimes used when posting a note. It is users who have not yet gotten a real GPS fix (probably in combination with that they do not understand the reporting functionality). In coming releases of our client we will add a check in the clients that it is not a simulated position but a real GPS fix (we also think of adding the GPS accuracy to the note). To prevent old clients from reporting the default positions we now ignore notes with a position that is near the default position.

In coming client releases we will also check the heading and add that to the notes as well (like Christian Quest suggested, N, NW, etc).

If you have ideas related to sharing GPS traces it would be interesting to hear about them, as this is a feature we plan to add.

Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have questions or ideas of how we can make things better.

Best regards,
Pelle

--
Per Rosengren