[OSM-talk] keys with multiple values

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Sep 14 04:12:16 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 5:24 PM, moltonel 3x Combo <moltonel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> To me there's very little semantic value in distinguishing between
> name_2 and alt_name. Even old_name and loc_name arguably don't bring
> much to the table (I do see the nuance, but it doesnt seem to be worth
> the complication). We've got the same problem with the ref tag and
> many others.

These are artifacts of the TIGER import, and I think I've already beat that
horse until it's a horse-shaped hole.  Try grepping the archives for "TIGER
import considered harmful" or something to that effect.  My mood about
TIGER has lightened for the most part, but I know in the early days a few
years ago after the imports, particularly in the Portland area, it was like
"shoot me now" bad trying to fix a lot of it.