[OSM-talk] Proposal - automate rendering examples on OSM wiki

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sat Apr 4 17:08:07 UTC 2015

On 20.03.2015 22:19, Jochen Topf wrote:
> I think the important part is doing the rendering, deciding on zoom levels and
> all this. This is going to be some work and will need some time.

Wouldn't it make sense to leave that responsibility to the projects,
similar to the decentralized generation of files consumed by Taginfo for
the projects feature? If a project team wants the added exposure via the
wiki, they will put in the effort to do some automation.

By the way, I'm in favour of allowing all OSM-based renderings to be
featured, not just the default style. People already obsess too much
about what is or isn't rendered by the default style imo.

> As
> a first step I suggest you look at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Taginfo/Projects
> and see whether your rendering can be brought into taginfo that way.

Taginfo already allows including an url for an icon-sized image with
each tag. What do you think about allowing another optional url for a
larger image? That wouldn't be limited to node features and could be
used in the wiki for rendering examples.

Tobias