[OSM-talk] bicycle=no and cycleway=lane

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 9 16:29:36 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-09 16:29, Volker Schmidt wrote:
>> From: Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
>>
>>> but "what does this combination of tags mean for bicycles".
>>
>> IMHO it says there is a bicycle lane, but you cannot use it by bike
>> (as you
>> can't use any of the lanes by bike, including those for cars).
>
> I beg to differ.
>
> My reasoning was in analogy to a street with compulsory-use cycle
> lanes
>
> with tags like:
>
> highway=residential|....
>
> bicycle=no
>
> cycleway=lane
>
> example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/7036100 [1]

I am with Martin on this and I think that is a perfect example of how
not to map it.

 From the cycleway wikipage:
> A cycle lane is an inherent part of the road itself.

So setting anything globally for the road means it is also implied for
the cyclelane. If you set bicycle=no for a road that has cycleway=lane
and you want to allow bicycles on that lane, you should add
cycleway:bicycle=yes to it.

Analogous to oneway=no and oneway:bicycle=yes if bicycles are allowed
two-way.

Maarten