[OSM-talk] Tagging POI's - Nodes vs. areas

EthnicFood IsGreat ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 13:58:04 UTC 2015

I want to know how to tag buildings which are also amenities or shops.  I
have consulted the wiki and I cannot find a clear explanation of this.  Say
you have a building which is a hospital.  One way to tag the polygon would
be "building = hospital."  Another way would be "amenity = hospital."
Another way would be to simply tag the building as "building = yes" and
then place a node inside the building polygon and tag the node as "amenity
= hospital."  I'm thinking in terms of how the hospital will show up in the
various renderers.  Do most renderers require the "amenity" tag in order to
display a hospital symbol at that location?  (In other words, what happens
if I just use the "building = hospital" tag on the polygon and no amenity
tag?)  And what about the hospital name?  Do I include it with the building
polygon or the node?  Or both?  This is very confusing.  It seems there is
a certain amount of overlap when it comes to the application of building,
amenity, and shop tags.

Mark Bradley