[OSM-talk] Removing redundant routing instructions

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 27 14:30:41 UTC 2015

Won't work in the UK as there are plenty of cases where you have to give
way and make a proper turn in order to stay on the same road name and/or
ref. The concept even has a name - TOTSO which means "Turn Off To Stay
On".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Martinvl/TOTSO

You cannot reliably infer from the geometry and name/ref which road (or
lanes) has to give way. The only way to improve the navigation
instructions is by giving hints.

This is not a routing question - nobody here is discussing which road is
the best way to MyTown - it's about how you present the router's choices
to the user.

//colin

On 2015-04-27 16:07, Marc Gemis wrote:

> As long as the name (or the ref/int_ref) of the street remains the same, I think the router should be able to give other messages than "turn right". There is no need for an additional relation IMHO.

>>> And more importantly, if you need to turn off onto the minor road going straight ahead it remains 'silent'.
>>> I have occasionally used a through_route relation in these cases, but lack of support from routers does make it seem futile.
>>> Much like the via way relation, that one is so needed too.
>>
>> Why do I find that confusing?
>>
>> Currently in general the directions ignore corners even if there are
>> roads going off those corners. The complaint is about 'extra' directions
>> where the corner is actually the main road and the straight on branch is
>> the turning. If the directions remain silent one would in some
>> conditions get confused so the safe thing to do is announce both?
>>
>> The correct wording of the the directions should be perhaps 'road bares
>> right' and 'go straight on' rather than 'turn right' but that does need
>> the perhaps missing "through_route" information? As I said, the
>> inclusion of road names in OSMAND while useful at times does get
>> similarly annoying when a 'continue on Axxx' would suffice. In this case
>> the road id provides the "through_route" information ... one remains on
>> the same road ... and the straight on road has a different one which may
>> just be 'minor road'.
>>
>> --
>> Lester Caine - G8HFL

Links: