[OSM-talk] Removing redundant routing instructions

phil at trigpoint.me.uk phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Apr 28 09:55:48 UTC 2015

On Tue Apr 28 10:10:00 2015 GMT+0100, Lester Caine wrote:
> On 28/04/15 05:10, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> > I'd call this mostly a routing presentation issue.  If the road name is
> > the same, I'd want any super sharp curve
> > to warn me:  "Tight left in 100 meters", or  "15mph left turn ahead".
> > The very fact of the OSM geometry ought to be
> > enough to calculate the necessary warning.
>
> Exactly my point, although that still leaves a few edge cases that would
> benefit as others have said.
>
> The discussion should be happening on the various router support lists
> and address their particular variations, but I think it is appropriate
> here to have the general guide lines that allow all routers to be able
> to rely on the one set of rules?

+1

Looking at some cases locally,  there are certainly difference between the routers. Mapquest does seem to be better here.

OSRM in particular does seem to reduce carefully drawn road geometry to a series of straight lines, which reduces its chances of getting turn instructions right in these cases.

Phil (trigpoint )
--
Sent from my Jolla