[OSM-talk] Continent Oceania or Australia

Jóhannes Birgir Jensson joi at betra.is
Wed Apr 29 13:31:40 UTC 2015

Iceland belongs to Europe in the same manner as Oceania exists of
Australia and the islands. Thus we are using the cultural constructs of
Continents and not the geographical landmass (or Eurasia would be
instead of Europe and Asia).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent
"As a cultural construct, the concept of a continent may go beyond the
continental shelf to includeoceanic islands
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_island>and continental fragments.
In this way, Iceland is considered part of Europe andMadagascar
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madagascar>part of Africa. Extrapolating
the concept to its extreme, some geographers group theAustralasian
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australasia>continental plate with other
islands in the Pacific into one continent calledOceania
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania>. This divides the entire land
surface of the Earth into continents or quasi-continents".^[10]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent#cite_note-10>

Þann 29.4.2015 13:18, skrifaði Michael Krämer: