[OSM-talk] stop deleting abandoned railroads

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 09:47:49 UTC 2015

On 11/08/2015 06:09, Russ Nelson wrote:
> Okay, this has to stop. ...

Here's what seems to have happened.  Via P1 undelete you can see:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/11896835/history

Someone's spotted that the TIGER way is iffy (via P1 it's possible to
see that it clearly was), and they're starting to draw it in more
accurately (in their next changeset, in fact).  Unfortunately that then
got deleted here by someone (who's now the subject of a long-term block):

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/131281945/history

It got re-added a year ago:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/24647010

and deleted 4 months ago:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/259134943/history

by someone who's made exactly 2 edits to OSM, so I suspect this example
is a cockup rather than a conspiracy.  As everyone else has already
said, a changeset discussion comment saying "something appears to have
gone wrong; can I help" would surely be the way forward here?

Cheers,

Andy