[OSM-talk] stop deleting abandoned railroads

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Aug 12 09:17:17 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 5:07 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> If you were complaining that the trail isn't there then I'd understand,
> and you'd have my full support for adding it. But complaining instead
> that the abandoned railway isn't there...?

They're often prominent features, especially in rural areas, as these can
be *highly* visible decades after the land use changes, sometimes by
something as subtle as how crops grow on them, due to the much higher soil
compaction and use of herbicidal compounds to support  and keep the line
clear when it was an active railroad and can be readily used to orient
yourself to if you have a map of the area that makes note of it.  There's
an inordinately large number of abandoned railroads in the panhandles of
Texas and Oklahoma and adjacent parts of New Mexico, Colorado and Kansas
(within my travels, what seems like about a 100+ mile wide swath from
Gunnison, CO to Guymon, OK) that are north of 100 miles long that are
sometimes not much more than a graded spot nothing grows on unless
deliberately cultivated, and maybe not even then without some noticeable
stunting.