[OSM-talk] History of specific areas

ajt1047 at gmail.com ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 08:07:54 UTC 2015

On 13/08/2015 07:22, Maarten Deen wrote:
> Is there a tool available to search for the history of items in a
> specific area? OSM History Viewer only works if you have the id of an
> object.

> I don't have the id for the node, I just know something was there and
> has been deleted at some point.

If we were talking about ways, then Potlatch 1 would be the way to go,
but that doesn't work with nodes.  However, you can often get to where
you need to by guessing something else that would have been added (or
deleted) at the same time, finding the changeset, and finding the other
thing that you're looking for there.

Alternatively, someone may have a data extract for the date and area
that you're interested in - but you'd need to say where and when that
was, of course.

If none of that works it'll there's the full history planet - see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/History_API_and_Database and the
links from it (but that'll be a lot of work).

Cheers,

Andy