[OSM-talk] New road style for Default Map style - pull requested is opened

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 09:22:03 UTC 2015

On 12/08/15 23:18, Andrew Hain wrote:
> We have a great opportunity for a spot of promotion. Publish a post
> on our blog announcing the new style and explaining the reasoning
> behind it. Don’t forget to remind people that there’s a wide variety
> of map styles out there that you can even write your own style.

It is perhaps time to review the front page yet again to provide better
links to some of the alternatives. This is a major WTF change which will
affect a LOT of third party users of the current map. The changes to
date have been bad enough, but I WAS hoping to have an alternative
rendering engine working by now so I can switch my UK location maps to
retain the main selling point for using OSM over Google ... the roads
are the right colours ... but while I've got the planet file replicating
and tilemill is running, getting the current style setup actually
producing tiles still eludes me :(  Lack of time is the problem, but a
decent set of instructions to work with openstreetmap-carto and manage a
branch off the current style would be helpful!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL