[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Carto v2.33.0 release

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sat Aug 15 12:15:03 UTC 2015

To clarify, I'm not advocating the use of landcover=* tag (I'm on the
fence).

However I've never liked that fact that an attribute of tree areas
(managed) was differentiated with primary key tags instead of sub-tags
such as:

landuse/landcover=wood/trees
managed=yes/no

landcover=trees is already in use so it wont really fragment it further.
The unifying of the render doesn't reduce fragmentation either, it just
papers over the cracks in tagging inconsistencies. This new rendering,
which I support in principle, should not negate the need to sort out
these inconsistencies, even if is millions of entities.

Cheers
Dave F.

On 15/08/2015 12:50, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> The question is how much is actually gained from this when
> landuse=forest and natural=wood are practically identical anyway and
> mean the same, namely 'this area is densely covered by trees'.
> Rendering landcover=trees as well would just further fragment tagging.
> The suggestion of using landcover=trees is generally based on the idea
> that both landuse=forest and natural=wood have a distinct meaning and
> there are tree covered areas which are neither of these. But in
> reality this is not the case and due to the widespread use of these
> tags it is likely this will never happen, it would require a
> systematic re-assessment of millions of features.

---