[OSM-talk] Best base to build on ...

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Aug 15 15:14:09 UTC 2015

Not getting much help on the GB list so I thought I'd widen the
question. A couple of years back I had my own server setup working with
a base of OSRM and routing covering the UK. While the map server is
still working, routing has packed up and some of the alternate base maps
are no longer accessible.

Given that the OSM styling is going to switch to something which in my
book is unacceptable I needed to sort my own rendering as a base for UK
usages. I've got tilemill running finally with a few niggles, but I've
actually managed to switch some style elements to be more UK frindly
using darker road colours. But as yet I've not got the routing side
working again.

The obvious question is that given tilemill is not longer being
maintained, what are the preferred alternatives?  I'm actually not happy
with the way OSRM has moved and there does not seem to be a 'standard'
for the support structure? Each section seems to need a different set of
tool versions. I'm happy to have to use postgresql despite having had
two corruptions already, but mysql has no place here. My main stack is
Nginx, PHP and Firebird and I have tilemill running on top of that, and
the planet file is being replicated nicely.

So do I spend a lot more time on tilemill, or am I better switching
before spending too much more time on that, and what other options are
available to replace OSRM. OSMAND is working well for me in the car so
is that perhaps a better use of time given that I still have a time
hungry support service to provide ... and I still need OHM as an option ...

I need to get this machine configured before shipping over to the data
centre where it will sit on a high speed pipe so I need to get it right.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL