[OSM-talk] landcover=trees [was Re: OpenStreetMap Carto v2.33.0 release]

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 13:12:01 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 17.08.2015 um 11:20 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at gmail.com>:
>
> Probably landuse=forestry and landcover=trees would be a good idea and I would
> support such proposal.

how do you suggest to put names? On locality nodes? On landuse objects? If you do the latter you will often have to make compromises, because of things that are part of the named forest but are different landuses, e.g. a lake, or buildings, campings, meadows, settlements, cemeteries etc.
You would also have to have overlapping landuse forest areas. I believe it's impractical to have it all in one tag: forest objects, the information where trees grow and where the landuse is forest. Multipoligon relations also impose a limit then how detailed you can get without loosing editability or even hitting api limits.

Cheers
Martin