[OSM-talk] The Proposed Great Colour Shift

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Aug 22 10:23:19 UTC 2015

On 20/08/15 02:16, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson wrote:
> The design goal seems straight forward, to discontinue green and blue
> for roads and move to red and reddish. For this to happen the decision
> was made to shift current primary, secondary and tertiary colours
> "upwards" so primary is now the colour of secondary and secondary the
> colour of tertiary. Leaving tertiary white.

Just thought I'd highlight the sort of WTF problems that will need to be
addressed if the main style sheet does change ...

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Pease_Pottage_Interchange
YES the green on the map is a problem, ...it should be the same colour
as on the left then it will stand out, and the blue and red should also
be darker which I'm currently tinkering with on my own server.

The main problem here is that OSM is used by a large part of the UK web
services, and any change needs to be managed in such a manor that those
services are not too badly affected. We do not have a list of every site
actually using OSM over google, and the vast majority of users will not
be following this list, so some other notification process needs
adopting ... and an alternative source needs to be in place for those
users ...

I've finally got a caching setup working, but it's still not ideal. I'm
still missing something on getting a clean rendering stack that can also
allow additional rendering options to be developed.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL